What To Expect During a Mold Remediation
Ready To Breathe Easier?
What To Expect During A Mold Remediation
Molds produce and release millions of spores small enough to easily become airborne. Exposure to indoor mold has increased along with public awareness that exposure to mold can cause a variety of adverse health effects. Most molds are harmless, but some can cause infections, allergy symptoms and produce toxins that are harmful to humans. Although infections caused by mold are rare in healthy individuals, the exact effect of toxins is still not that well understood. Nevertheless, mold remediation is necessary to return a home to a safe, healthy condition and make it a suitable environment for residents.
The Mold Remediation Plan
- Moisture control is the critical factor.
- Materials that can’t be dried and completely cleaned of any mold should be removed and discarded.
- Non-porous materials may be fully dried, cleaned and reused (metal, glass, plastic, stone countertops, etc.).
- Semi-porous materials may be cleaned as long as they remain structurally sound (concrete, wood).
- Porous materials can be penetrated by mold making them difficult to fully clean. As a general rule, it is best to remove and replace contaminated materials like drywall, carpet, and insulation.
Small Areas of Remediation
- For areas that are less than 10 square feet, containment is not necessary as long as the affected area is sealed (cover the affected area with 6 mil plastic, seal the plastic with duct tape, and cut outside the taped edge).
- Work areas should be unoccupied except for trained technicians.
- HEPA vacuuming and HEPA filtration should be used.
Large Areas of Remediation
- Any affected area greater than 10 square feet.
- Work area and adjacent areas should be unoccupied except for trained technicians.
- The work area should be placed under containment.
- Ventilation ducts in the work area and in areas adjacent to it should be sealed off.
- HEPA filtration should be used.
Mold remediation is a serious business. Don’t allow inexperienced workers and low-ball offers influence your contracting decisions and threaten your family’s health and well being. Your first step should be to contact our nationally certified mold remediation company, Mold & Air Duct Pros, when you have a dangerous mold situation in your home. We have been successfully remediating mold in Northeastern Ohio homes and businesses for many years now.
Providing Mold Inspection, Mold Removal & Air Duct Cleaning Services To Cuyahoga, Geauga & Lake Counties