Frequently Asked Questions About Mold
Ready To Breathe Easier?
Northeast Ohio's Top Choice For Mold & Air Duct Cleaning
(Click Logos Below To Read Customer Reviews)
Frequently Asked Questions About Mold
Click the plus (+) sign to expand and see the answer to some of our most frequently asked questions.
How Do I Choose A Mold Company?
Just like any home project, you must make sure the contractor can do the work and get it done right. By asking 3 simple questions, you will be able to choose the right company.
- What air testing method do you use?
There are many testing methods, but only 2 measure the air:
Air-O-Cell tests capture mold spores in the air in a cassette. The cassette is then shipped to a lab where scientists select a small area, count the mold spores, and determine how much mold was likely in the air of the home. This method MUST be done by an independent 3rd party. Contractors could tamper with the tests by mailing a “dirty” cassette to the lab for testing.
InstaScopeTM measures the number of mold spores in the air in real-time. The results are provided instantly to you, the homeowner, preventing any tampering with the sample.
- Will you test the air?
Mold Remediation contractors must perform post remediation verification after every project. Post remediation testing will verify that the mold problem has been properly addressed. Make sure they give you the test results for your records.
- How much pollution insurance do you carry?
It is not enough for a mold contractor to carry basic liability insurance. They must have Pollution Liability Insurance to be properly covered. Some contractors may avoid getting the proper coverage, because pollution coverage is expensive. This is a very important question to ask as it will filter out those contractors that are “dipping their toes” into the business.
How To Avoid Duct Cleaning Scams
Don’t be a victim to the “whole house special for $99-$249” ads. Unfortunately some companies use these misleading tactics to get “foot in your door”. Once they arrive and do their “inspection”, the up-charging begins. They will start asking you if you would like to add return lines, furnace blower, etc., up-charging you for all these “add-ons”, and leaving you with a much larger bill to pay.
Check if the company is a NADCA certified member here https://nadca.com/find-a-professional/mold-air-duct-pros . NADCA certified companies are required to follow NADCA duct cleaning process, which requires to clean the full system-furnace, ducts, returns, and registers. Please refer to The Homeowner’s Guide Why Choose a NADCA Member https://nadca.com/sites/default/files/nadca_homeowners_guide_web_version.pdf
We highly recommend hiring a company that uses a negative air machine/process. You won’t get the same results with a company that uses a “Rotobrush” or “Ram Air” cleaning your system.
Resources to help avoid Duct Cleaning Scams:
What is mold?
- Mold is a fungus that includes thousands of different species. It may grow indoors or outdoors and thrives in damp, warm, and humid environments.
- Mold can develop by various water infiltrations such as pipe leaks or water back up. It can enter your home through open doorways, windows, and vents. It may also become attached to clothing, shoes, and pets and therefore be carried indoors. When the mold spores in the air land on a surface where moisture is present, mold can then start to grow.
- Bathrooms and basements are typical areas prone to mold growth, however, any moist area in the home can be moldy. Drywall, ceiling tiles, carpets, furniture, ductwork, roofing, paneling, wallpaper, under sinks, and the areas around plumbing pipes are common areas that can harbor mold if the ideal growing conditions are present.
What is black mold?
There is no single type of mold called “black mold” — many molds are black. However, when people use the term they are usually referring to a type called Stachybotrys chartarum (S. chartarum), also known as Stachybotrys atra. This type of mold is also often associated with “sick building syndrome.”
If you have concern for black mold, or any other type of mold, in your home or business, then you need to call the local experts.
Instant Mold Pros offers fast, affordable mold inspection and mold remediation to Northeast, Ohio.
What does mold mean for me and my health?
- Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye or skin irritation, or, in severe cases, fever and difficulty breathing.
- People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Allergic reactions may happen immediately or develop after a period following exposure. Both growing mold and mold spores may lead to allergic reactions.
- Mold or mold spores may cause asthma attacks in people who have asthma and are allergic to mold.
- Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.
Why do I need to have my home/business tested?
Mold has been proven to have the potential of adversely affecting our immune system. Because mold is naturally occurring, its safe to say that all buildings are at least in some way or another sheltering mold spores. So why even bother with a test? What will a test tell me if I know the spores exist in my building to begin with? Mold spores thrive and have the potential of developing into a network of microbiological ecologies when the conditions are right. The perfect conditions for mold growth potential include: the presence of moisture, improper ventilation, and/or a mold containing source (causing cross-contamination). By being able to test numerous rooms/spaces per session, the InstaScope equipment can provide a detailed analytical breakdown of what each area looks like on the microbiological level, and how the air you’re breathing compares to normal breathing air with normal fungal activity.
What is your process for mold inspection and testing?
Mold & Air Duct Pros has established a mold inspection and testing process to help ensure a consistent experience for all of our customers. Our process is as follows:
- Initial Phone consultation.
- Onsite Interview to gather more detailed information on occupants and property history.
- Interior and Exterior Inspection performed to identify moisture related issues.
- Use of most advanced moisture inspection equipment.
- On-Site Air Sampling and Analysis performed using today’s most advanced mold testing equipment.
- Multiple Air Sample scans collected in each room for more accurate results.
- Our easy-to-read online Mold Assessment Report provided within 24 hours.
- Mold remediation protocol and remediation estimate is available if abnormal mold levels are found.
What makes Mold & Air Duct Pros testing so special?
Mold & Air Duct Pros believes in finding the right answer in the least amount of time with the least amount of money! In fact, Instant Mold Pros is the ONLY mold company in the area with the technology available to capture accurate measurements for airborne mold and bacteria in real time!
Instant Results Ready To Review – After a mold inspection, it can take days for the lab results to come back. However, Instant Mold Pros can evaluate airborne particles instantly and generate reports on-site.
Capture Every Room – Mold can be visible, it can also be airborne. Because we have unlimited sampling ability, you will get a report for every room and remove the guesswork of where to sample.
Better Technology Supported By Science – Developed by the military, applied commercially for indoor air quality, the system we utilize is the only optical technology of its kind on the market.
Savings For Everyone – Multiple site visits and follow-ups to go over results can turn costly and time consuming for both customer and technician. Simplify the inspection process and eliminate the logistical complications with Instant Mold Pros on-the-spot reporting.
How does it differentiate from “old” methods?
The testing system we utilize is the only instrument in the world to measure indoor air quality in real-time. Traditional methods like aerosol cassettes only give you a snapshot of a structure’s air quality, but our system gives you the full motion picture with a space and time integrated sample. Consistent monitoring in real-time takes away waiting on labs for results and inaccurate readings due to constant changing conditions.
Aerosol cassettes are like pictures, vs our system which is like a video of the air particles.
What is your 10-Step process for mold remediation?
Mold & Air Duct Pros has developed and perfected the following 8-step mold remediation system to deliver quality results at an affordable price.
- INITIAL CONSULTATION – Free on-site consultation to better understand your building, occupants, and the extent of the mold problem.
- MOLD INSPECTION – Mold can be visible, it can also be airborne. Upon approval, we will conduct a thorough mold air analysis with instant results in every room using InstaScope. Upon completion, we will share the results along with a safe & effective mold remediation plan.
- COVER & PROTECT – We will respect your home, covering your floors & belongings, keeping them safe and clean during your mold remediation.
- CONTAINMENT BARRIERS – Areas with high mold counts and visible growth will be contained to prevent the mold from spreading to other areas of the building.
- AIR FILTRATION – HEPA air filtration devices are used to capture unwanted airborne particulates, keeping the air quality in your home safe and clean during your remediation.
- DEMOLITION & REMOVAL (If required) – Controlled demolition and removal of contaminated building materials from your property.
- HEPA VACUUM – All contaminated surfaces such as walls, ceilings & floors will be HEPA vacuumed then wiped down with an EPA-approved broad-spectrum disinfectant.
- REACT/EXTRACT – Professional grade system that uses the power of reacted chemistry to cause the contaminants to be driven to the surface.
- WET VACUUM EXTRACTION – Perform wet vacuum extraction over the resultant foam produced by React/Extract.
- POST-REMEDIATION EVALUATION – Mold Clearance Testing is performed in the contaminated areas to verify that the mold remediation was successful.
*Keep your home dry and clean – if you succeed in mold prevention, you will avoid a lot of troublesome experiences.
What does your system test for?
Our system tests for airborne contamination, mold, PM10, PM2.5, PM10 Bio, and PM2.5 Bio. This information can be used to assess indoor air quality.
How long does an average scan take?
The duration of the scan depends on the cubic volume of the area being scanned. Average household rooms usually take 3-5 minutes per room.
What does Green, Yellow, Red on the reports represent?
GYR is a simplified visual code on the reports to show mold exposure when compared to the mold outside on the day and time that the inspection is done. Green indicates airborne mold concentrations that are expected under normal conditions. Yellow indicates mold concentrations that are moderately higher than what should be expected under normal conditions. Red indicates airborne mold concentrations that are significantly higher or different than what would be expected in a structure under normal conditions.
What does the report tell me?
The results of an Instant Mold Pros inspection deliver critical insight into a property. It will provide scan-by-scan mold comparisons for each room, a scan-by-scan comparison of fine airborne particles PM2.5 & PM10, and include any images of primary concern within a structure
So Mold & Air Duct Pros will tell me exactly where the mold is coming from
Using many different types of tools such as moisture sensors, hydrometers, IR imaging cameras, and the Instascope, we will be able to apply the method of “Differential Diagnosis” to come up with the best understanding of what caused the microbial growth and how to prevent it from happening again.
Providing Mold Inspection, Mold Removal & Air Duct Cleaning Services To Cuyahoga, Geauga & Lake Counties