Facts About Mold
Ready To Breathe Easier?
Facts About Mold and Mold’s Affect On People
First, you must understand that mold is everywhere. It’s present outdoors and inside your home, no matter how much you dust and clean. Mold thrives in dark, damp, and warm environments. In most cases, mold only becomes a major problem in your home when concentration levels inside exceed what is naturally present outside. Although basements and shower stalls are typical areas where mold growth begins, any area that contains high moisture levels may promote mold growth.
Molds are types of fungi that grow in filaments and reproduce by releasing spores. These spores are the cause of allergic reactions in people sensitive to mold. Allergic reactions to mold can include wheezing, runny nose, watery and itchy eyes, coughing, or skin rashes. The most common types of household mold include Cladosporium, Penicillium, Alternaria, and Aspergillus. Stachybottrys, the infamous “black mold” that everyone has heard about and fears, is less common and takes more moisture and time to develop than the other types. It also requires high cellulose content materials like wood and paper as its food source.
Mold spores are tiny, 10 to 30 microns in size (smaller than the diameter of a human hair), and cannot be seen by the naked eye. They are very hardy and can survive for long periods under conditions in which they cannot grow, such as drier environments.
Several groups of individuals may develop severe reactions to mold exposure. These groups include young children, pregnant women, older individuals, and people with compromised immune systems. Although some of these symptoms are uncommon, they can include fever and difficulty breathing. People with chronic lung disease or undergoing chemotherapy treatments can develop serious, life threatening infections due to being exposed to mold spores. It is impossible at this time to predict the severity of the health risks associated with mold in a home.
Bleach IS NOT The Answer
Contrary to thousands of TV shows, radio shows, and websites, chlorine bleach is NOT an effective means of dealing with mold. Chlorine bleach is only effective on hard, non-porous surfaces like granite countertops or concrete. It is NOT EFFECTIVE for cleaning porous surfaces such as drywall, wood, or wallpaper. If you discover mold in your home or business, you should contact Instant Mold Pros at 440-249-4779.
Call The Experts
At Mold & Air Duct Pros, we have been successful in removing mold from homes and businesses throughout Northeastern Ohio. We have the training and experience necessary and our remediation teams are nationally certified mold removal specialists. We will be happy to provide you with a FREE VISUAL INSPECTION of any mold issue you may have. Call us at 440-249-4779.
Providing Mold Inspection, Mold Removal & Air Duct Cleaning Services To Cuyahoga, Geauga & Lake Counties
Mold & Air Duct Pros
A Division of Cleveland Water & Fire Restoration
Bedford Heights, OH 44146